Saturday 12 November 2011

Welcome

Welcome to my new blog, Splendor.  This blog will replace my old one that I deleted some time ago, Splendoris.  This blog will focus primarily on Traditional Catholic art and architecture from Canada, but, as I hope to partake of some international travel someday, will not be strictly limited to Canada. 

With this first post, I will concentrate on the beautiful church I have chosen as the header for the blog, Notre Dame Cathedral-Basilica in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.  It is hard to match the beauty of this spectacular Neo-Gothic edifice.  This Cathedral church was built from 1841 to 1865.  The interior ornamentation dates from 1876 to 1885.  Here is a photo of the exterior:


The bulk of the exterior being quite simple, the most outstanding feature is definitely the high and slender Gothic spires.  Here are some photos capturing the beauty of these fingers pointing to the heavens.


                                       Aonther photo of the wonderful spires of Notre Dame



In striking contrast to the simple exterior is the very ornate Gothic interior of Notre Dame, Ottawa.  This interior is one of the most detailed and beautiful church interiors I have had the pleasure of viewing.  Here is an interior photo:


                                              And another interior photo to show the width:


                                The interesting two storey galleries in the nave of the Cathedral:


I will create a second posting of this amazing church that will focus on the sanctuary and altars, which are of exquisite beauty and detail.  Again, welcome to my new blog, and I hope you will enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment